How do I setup Lockitron?
Lockitron is having trouble turning my deadbolt
Keep in mind that while Lockitron was designed to turn slightly sticky locks, it cannot overcome moderately sticky locks. If your lock became significantly more difficult to turn by hand after installing Lockitron, then a few issues may be present:
- The C-Plate is out of alignment: The most common cause for a difficult to turn Lockitron is a mis-aligned C-Plate. The C-Plate needs to be centered around the spindle (the point at which the lock turns), not the visual center of the lock. Loosen the two screws behind your deadbolt and slowly move Lockitron up or down until it centers around the point at which your lock turns.
- Change the orientation of the rubber insert: Depending on the brand or style of lock you have, it may be best to install the rubber insert with the arrow facing down rather than up. We recommend this for the Schlage Tapered Deadbolts we offer.
- A decorative deadbolt may be too tall: Certain types of decorative deadbolts can be too tall for Lockitron to accomodate. They will create pressure on the Lockitron faceplate, making Lockitron difficult to turn. While we are looking into ways for Lockitron to accomodate this style of lock by modifying the rubber insert, we recommend contact email@example.com to confirm compatibility or replacing your deadbolt.
- The batteries are low: One of the symptoms of low batteries is that Lockitron will turn more slowly and fail to fully lock or unlock. Replace your batteries as soon as possible. We are working to include better low battery notifications in the Lockitron app.
Take a look at the video below for more information.
Can I install Lockitron without the C-Plate?
Information on alternative mounting methods for Lockitron coming soon.
Connecting Lockitron to your WiFi network
To get Lockitron set up on your WiFi network, you will need to use the Lockitron Android or iOS app. You can use any iOS device running iOS 5.0 or higher with a WiFi connection including iPod Touches and iPads.
With the Lockitron app installed, head to "Setup New Lockitron". The installation video will walk you through the steps necessary to set up Lockitron including adding it to your WiFi network using a process called "BlinkUp". With BlinkUp, you will be prompted to select the correct WiFi network and type in the WiFi password.
When you type send BlinkUp, the app will "Blink" the credentials over to the device using your screen. CAUTION: The light patterns used during BlinkUp rapidly alternate between light and dark, consult a physician before using BlinkUp if you have an epileptic condition.
Hold your phone close to Lockitron's top right corner during BlinkUp. We recommend setting Lockitron up away from direct light sources as these can interfere with BlinkUp. During a successful BlinkUp, Lockitron's WiFi light will cease flashing as it is receiving the information.
At the end of BlinkUp you should be taken to the next step of the installation process. If this isn't the case, however, there are a few potential reasons:
- Lockitron has already been set up by another user: If Lockitron reports this during the first set up procedure, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help you with set up.
- The WiFi credentials were incorrect: Re-enter your WiFi credentials and tap "Send BlinkUp" again. If the button is unrepsonsive, you may need to tap the Back button until you can tap the "Setup New Lockitron" button again.
- Lockitron didn't receive the BlinkUp signal: If Lockitron continues to Blink its WiFi LED during the BlinkUp process, this indicates that the BlinkUp signal is not being properly transmitted. Move Lockitron to a darker area and try again.
Take a look at the video below if you need help troubleshooting your Lockitron's WiFi connection.
Lockitron isn't locking or unlocking when sent a command
If your Lockitron isn't consistently responding to your commands, the first step in diagnosing it is by using the "Lock" and "Unlock" buttons on the "Locks" tab of your dashboard. Click on one of the buttons to test the Lockitron - if the button flashes red after you click on it (But my button flashes green!), then your Lockitron is down. The most likely cause for this is that the Lockitron has been unplugged from a power source or its internet source. Check to see that the Lockitron is plugged in by seeing if at least of the lights on the top of the server unit is on or flashing and that one or both of the lights next to the ethernet jack are flashing.
If the Lockitron is fully powered up and plugged into a working internet connection, yet the button still flashes red after clicking the "Lock" or "Unlock" buttons, then your should try unplugging the server from power briefly, then plugging it back in. Then repeat the above steps. If after all of this Lockitron still isn't working for you, we recommend that you contact us and we can check it out from our end!
My buttons flash green, but it still doesn't work!
If your "Lock" and "Unlock" buttons in the control panel flash green, but your Lockitron still does not respond, then your Lockitron base station has been placed too far away from your door. In cases where your door is metal or the door lock is in an area of heavy interference - i.e. next to radio towers or ball parks - you might have to place the transmitter that is plugged into the server unit immediately across the door frame in order to ensure reliable transmission.
If you have placed the transmitter right next to the Lockitron deadbolt and it still doesn't function then please contact us - it is possible that there is a software misconfiguration or that you are experiencing a hardware failure.
Lockitron has a session error
Lockitron may at times report that it is experiencing a session error and cannot complete your lock or unlock command. It is possible that your application or browser's cache was cleared and you will need to log back into the application.
Lockitron is not responding to the app or button
If Lockitron is not responding to commands either sent by the phone or by pressing the button, it is possible that either the batteries have died or Lockitron is updating. If after removing one battery and replacing it the WiFi LED blinks however you do not hear the startup music, Lockitron is updating. Lockitron should finish updating within 15 minuthes. If Lockitron doesn't reboot within 15 minutes, repeat the previous step or contact support at email@example.com.